By all indications the future of work is hybrid. More people than ever before are working remotely. But not everyone prefers the work from home environment. The result is a hybrid workplace, one that combines remote work and work in a traditional office space. The goal of the hybrid workplace is to support every work style and every employee.
Advantages of remote working
- Change to commuting patterns, traffic and time spent to and from the office
- Focused individual work improved – less disruption
- Restore or enhance work life balance
- Increased family time
- Employee’s sense of freedom – can control their work/home schedule, improving job satisfaction
- Reduces staff turnover
- Attract talent
Disadvantages of remote working
- Communication & Collaboration may suffer -teams become siloed and communicate less, less face-to-face interaction and chance meetings
- Employees spend more time on email, what’s app and therefore less information shared
- Less collaboration and learning between new and younger employees (Generation Y & Z) and Baby Boomers– it’s a vital part of an office space – the ability for all to learn new skills
- Culture, creativity and innovation may suffer,
- Employees lose the social interaction of offices and may feel lonely, isolated, and out of touch
- Digital overload Zoom/Team meetings, webinars at all hours
- Ability to work remotely is an issue in South Africa – access to a decent internet connection, space, and place to work, disruption, cost of IT
- Difficult to manage remote teams
The Solution – The Hybrid Office
The opportunity is for companies to create a workplace (Hybrid Office) where everyone can thrive and importantly encourage employees to come back to the office a few days a week.
- A well designed and improved office space offering employees a choice of where to work within the office – desk, quiet zone, pause area, collaboration space or meeting room, in the garden or on the patio. The office is no longer the corner office, open plan space and meeting rooms.
- A beautifully designed and welcoming space – softer less corporate design and more like home – resimercial design
- Create a safer healthy office
- Social and planned interactions within the office
- State of the art digital infrastructure – phones, tele & video conferencing
- Pause area with great coffee, healthy meals, and snacks
The Adaptive range offers a comprehensive office furnishing solution utilising simple, interchangeable components with a variety of leg shapes – A, U, O and V. Adaptive fits comfortably into the requirements of the hybrid office and is perfect for both team and individual workspaces. The range is easy to assemble and has a simple, yet effective cable management solution. This flexible range is complemented by a selection of storage units and privacy screening. High tables designed for quick meetings complement the range of standard height meeting tables and together enhance teamwork, communication, and creative thinking.
- Microsoft Report – 22 March 2021 – The next great disruption is hybrid work
- Mckinsey Report – 23 November 2020 – Future of remote working
- Breathe HR
- Paragon Interiors